Thursday 24 April 2008

Learning to Love Maya (slowely)

Once again I have completely forgotten to post the I-dent so apologies for that, not exactly sure what to write this week as all I have been doing is the Maya stuff so I will try and wing it and see what happens.

I suppose the logical place to start is Maya, which I have a sort of love hate relationship with, mostly hate. However, the tutorials have really helped and I can sort of get my head round the graph editor now, which when you know how, I will grudgingly admit, is quite useful. I have spent most of this week on the bowling ball which I am quite happy with. Peter Bailey’s talk was very useful in getting a lot of the movement right. I started the table tennis ball but wasn’t really trying so it looks a bit crap; the rotation is all wrong, which in turn messes up the stretch and squash and I can not for the life of me work out how to put locators on. That said, unless you watch it on wire frame you can not actually tell that it is rotating that much, if I have time tomorrow or Saturday I will try and fix it but through some perverse need to punish myself I have decided to try and model a football tomorrow so it may have to stay as it is. I am quite looking forward to the character animation, mainly because it is a bit more interesting than a ball, although I can see it getting stupidly complicated very quickly.

That’s just about the extent of anything remotely interesting that I had to say, so I am off to go watch Richard Linklater’s A Scanner Darkly (2006) I don’t know if its any good but it looks like it has all been rotoscoped, so I shall update you next week sports fans!

1 comment:

Gail said...

I thought your Chair modelling project was really successful and I was very impressed with your staging of the scene and the design, you could be a 3D designer!
But I know what you mean about 'love and hate' with Maya, it is so big and complicated and yet fascinating.