Wednesday 15 April 2009

Set Design!!

Easter is over and here I am bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and ready to learn! (supposedly) Yay!! What glories tales of my exploits do I have to tell you all then? Well, I have become an avid watcher of Timmy Time (here’s the intro) and have successfully lowered my mental age to single digits as a result. I try to convince myself that I watch it to study the animation, which is very good by the way, but it is actually quite entertaining, although Timmy does come across as a bit of a smart arse at times. I also did a bit of work when the fancy took me.

Robots! My tasks over Easter was to finalise the set design and shoot some reference stuff for the animation. So here I have oodles and oodles of concept work of the sets and some screenshots of 3D models that I made of them. In total there are three sets that we are using; the Sarge’s office, outside the shopping mall and the shopping mall itself. We may also need to produce some simple backgrounds for the intro but were not 100% what’s going on with that yet.
As I have mentioned the past the overall look we want for the sets is a futuristic but tacky 60’s/70’s kind of vibe with a very drab colour palette. I deliberately designed the Sarge’s office so that it got narrower at one end, making the Sarge look bigger. I also envisage this set being quite small and cramped.
I have designed the exterior of the mall to be quite simple to save on build time; most of it will consist of textured boards and a backdrop.
In the interior I want the Mars Travel Agency to be the main focus so I have made that a nice orange to stand out against the bluey gray of the rest of the set. I have also tried to leave quite a lot of scope for visual gags in the store front and billboards.
Well that’s all for now…until next week!

No comments: