Saturday 23 May 2009

Some stuff

Once again I must apologize for the complete lack of blog stuff over the last couple of weeks, hopefully things will be back on track next week. I did have some videos of all the stuff I have been doing on talking dog but once again blogger is not letting me upload them so I will talk about something else instead.

So, fist of all I think I shall discuss my dissertation, as that is pretty fresh in my mind. I think that I am going to do something on themes of childhood in the work of the Quay brothers, although I am still not that sure how I am going to be approaching the subject. I was hoping that doing my dissertation proposal would have helped me get my head round it but I ended up cobbling that together a bit a producing a load of pretentious crap that didn’t really explain anything. I do know that I want to read into psychological theory so I am hoping that when I do that things will start to fit into place and I will have a better idea of what to do.

Kathy’s drawing project was also a bit of a disappointment; I really wanted to make a good job of it but I had to rush to get it done and except some character designs I didn’t really do any sketchbook work for it, bar a bit of life drawing stuff I stole from one of last years sketchbooks, which was the whole point, so I am not expecting great feedback.
What I did submit is here for your viewing pleasure (although blogger is bringing them in the wrong way up and refusing to let me upload the sketches) and was inspired by some weird and wonderful ideas I had after watching too much Quay brother’s stuff. I can’t really explain what is going on because I am not sure myself; I just drew random ideas that came into my head. But the main theme is of a character thrown into this strange yet familiar world, much like some of the Quay’s films.
I am toying with the idea of using it as inspiration for the project next year but it will need a lot of refining to get it away from something that looks like a purely Quay Brother’s inspired piece, which it is at the moment.

No comments: